Henderson International School PTA is a 501(c)3 non-profit charitable organization that works hand-in-hand with teachers, school administration, and parents to enhance the joy and well being of HIS students. Collectively, we work to build a sense of inclusion and community which complements and enriches the learning environment.
HIS PTA achieves this by hosting on-campus events such as the Back to School BBQ, Student Triathlon, Book Fair, Holiday Shop, Spring Fling carnival, and Summer Kickoff, as well as various off-campus events like family fun nights. For teachers and school administration, HIS PTA hosts nine annual Teacher Appreciation events. Starting in 2016-17 school year, HIS PTA will be encouraging participation amongst our PTA membership for adults-only “Night Out for a Cause” charity-driven social mixers in partnership with Fabulous Shoe Night Las Vegas.
In order to provide these hosted events, HIS PTA raises funds year-round through various channels such as affiliate programs, Box Tops, Labels for Education, Escrips, and our largest fundraiser is our annual Silent Auction.
HIS PTA has a strong focus on promoting philanthropy and helping our students plan activities and organize programs that support the Greater Las Vegas community, which in turn teaches our children to be good local and global citizens. In past years, this has included Salvation Army Angel Tree collections, food and coat drives for Las Vegas Rescue Mission, providing hands-on help at homeless shelters to distribute meals, as well as monthly collections of bagged lunches for the homeless in partnership with Broken Chains Ministry / Two Lunch Tuesday.
For the 2016-2017 school year, HIS PTA’s Philanthropy Committee has selected Project 150 as our charity partner for this school year. Project 150 is a 501(c)3 non-profit charitable organization whose mission is to offer support and services to Las Vegas’ homeless teens to enable and encourage them to stay in high school through graduation, as well as help prepare them to be successful in life. Since Henderson International School is a college preparatory school, we believe Project 150 is the perfect choice to be the recipient of our philanthropy efforts that will include year-round collection barrels placed throughout school property for new and gently used clothing, as well as monthly donation drives for brand-new “necessities” such as socks, underwear, back packs and school supplies. During the holiday season, we will offer up to 300 “sponsor a family” opportunities for Christmas gift collections. Beyond assisting with donation collections, HIS PTA will also provide hands-on service opportunities for our students, parents and teachers to regularly volunteer to prep weekend meal bags for homeless families, wrap gifts during the holidays, and provide assistance in the Project 150 student boutique at Project 150’s Volunteer Center.
PTA Mission: “To make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.”
PTA Values: What PTA stands for
- Collaboration: We work in partnership with a wide array of individuals and organizations to accomplish our agreed-upon goals.
- Commitment: We are dedicated to promoting children’s health, well-being, and educational success through strong parent, family, and community involvement.
- Accountability: We acknowledge our obligations. We deliver on our promises.
- Respect: We value our colleagues and ourselves. We expect the same high quality of effort and thought from ourselves as we do from others.
- Inclusivity: We invite the stranger and welcome the newcomer. We value and seek input from as wide a spectrum of viewpoints and experiences as possible.
- Integrity: We act consistently with our beliefs. When we err, we acknowledge the mistake and seek to make amends.
PTA Purposes: Historical goals of PTA
- To promote the welfare of the children and youth in home, school, community, and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.