HIS PTA – PROJECT 150 PHILANTHROPY PLANS 2016-17 SCHOOL YEAR
Project 150 has an annual, quarterly focus on the following areas for homeless Vegas-area teens:
1st quarter – Prom Supplies
- Girls – gently worn or new dresses, accessories, clutches, shoes, new underwear, new panty hose, perfume, makeup, hair essentials.
- Boys – Ties, bowties, cufflinks, new socks, dress shoes, dress shirts, slacks, tuxedos, new underwear/shirts, belts, wallets, cologne.
2nd quarter – Graduation
- New hygiene essentials, new socks, shoes, new underwear/panties, business clothing for interviews, cash donations, scholarships.
3rd quarter – Back to School
- New hygiene essentials, new socks, new underwear/panties, new/gently worn clothing.
- School supplies including – new backpacks, pens, pencils, highlighters, paper, spiral notebooks, notebook dividers, scientific calculators, index cards, protractor and compass sets, USB flash drives, combination locks for lockers and bikes.
4th quarter – Holidays
- Feed It Forward: $30 contributions for Holiday Meal Box (feeds 4).
- Boys and Girls Clothing: gently worn or new shoes and clothing in sizes Small to 3X, new white socks and dress socks, new underwear/boxers/bras/panties, new undershirts, small fleece throw blankets, hoodies, tank tops, jackets and coats.
- Secret Santa – sponsor families by purchasing from their need/want list (by family). Typically, items consist of essentials listed above, as well as board games, footballs, basketballs, and Wal-Mart gift cards.
- New hygiene essentials, new underwear/panties/shirts, new socks.
- Food items – granola bars, pop tarts, cup of noodle soups, mac & cheese ready to eat bowls, oatmeal packets, snap-top canned ready to eat meals, microwave popcorn bags, fruit cups, tuna/chicken with crackers sets.
- New Hygiene/Toiletry Essentials include:
- Ladies sanitary products (critical need item) including pads and tampons
- Bar soap, deodorant, razors, after-shave, toothpaste, toothbrushes
- Hair products – shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, hair gel, combs, brushes
- Miscellaneous – makeup sets, facial wipes, blow dryers, flat and curling irons
HIS PTA Monthly Philanthropy Proposal
Entire School Year
- Placement of three branded Project 150 donation bins – ideally, 1 at front desk, 1 in middle school lobby, 1 in lower school lobby. Project 150 will add HIS to their route and pickup monthly.
- Donation of all lost and found items that are not claimed periodically during the school year.
- School to assist in promoting donation and service opportunities.
- Back to School essentials from list brought to school and placed in bins.
- Collection of Back to School essentials at Ben and Jerry’s Family Fun Night 9/23 – special collection bin placed at payment counter. Consider opportunity for additional $ for collection jar while purchasing ice cream.
- Collection of new socks and food items at Triathlon on 10/9.
- Service opportunity for students – break apart packs of socks to fold each pair individually after the triathlon finishes.
- Collection of teen-appropriate new books during Book Fair on 11/1-11/4, special collection bin placed in Gallery next to Teen Book section.
- Collection of hygiene essentials, board games, footballs, basketballs, soccer balls, jackets, coats and hoodies during Holiday Shop 12/6-12/9, special collection bin placed in Gallery.
- Secret Santa – involve room parents to pick 1-5 families per classroom to have their class sponsor and add to party sign-up sheets to fulfill needs/wants of the families they pick.
- Service opportunity for students/parents – wrapping party to wrap all collected gifts in lunchroom on 12/15 after school 3pm-5pm.
- Collection of prom essentials at Daddy/Daughter Dance 2/3 – special collection bin placed in Henderson Hall.
- Collection of prom essentials at Silent Auction 3/25 – special collection bin placed at event check-in table.
- Consider a cash donation 100% of net proceeds from 1 specific large-ticket item sold at auction to be given to Project 150. Perhaps this is an item they can help us procure from their sponsor partners, such as dinner with Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos.
- Collection of new socks, new underwear and hygiene essentials at Spring Fling 5/5 – special collection bin placed at raffle sales table.
- Consider a cash donation % of net proceeds from raffle sales to be given to Project 150, offer opportunity for additional $ for collection jar while purchasing raffle tickets.
- Collection of Pop Tarts at Muffins with Moms 5/12 – special collection bin placed in Henderson Hall.
- Collection of granola bars at Donuts with Dads 5/19 – special collection bin placed in Henderson Hall.
- Collection of microwave popcorn and fruit cups at Middle School Dance 5/26 – special collection bin placed in Henderson Hall.
- Collection of sunscreen at Summer Kickoff 6/2, coordinated with room parents and added to party sign-up sheets.
- Service opportunity for students/parents – prom boutique at Zappos HQ to assist with fitting clothing, hemming pants/dresses to fit, helping teens pick out accessories/shoes/purses to match dresses.